Monday, July 26, 2010

Labs Coordinator AKA, the documaster

Sorry, I haven't been posting lately.
I've been working diligently on my next "big" project...

So, check this out.
We get all kinds of reports that our classroom technology documentation is out-dated. I'm in the right mind to agree.
I mean, check these docs out:




Pros:
  • Each booklet has a corresponding room#.
  • Each booklet is detailed enough to demonstrate how to use the black boxes.
  • Diagrams are pretty low-quality, and don't explain much.

Cons:
  • No one reads them.
  • They are often misplaced or thrown away.
  • No Windows/Mac Configuration, only blackbox operation.
  • Full-sentence/full-paragraph Text-heavy (seriously, who does this anymore?)
  • Paper degrades, gets torn, turns yellow.

SO...
This year, I am taking the initiative to draft new classroom documentation that is/has:

  1. More universal (can be applied across the board)
  2. Explains more conceptually how projection works (outlining basic input-  output- logic)
  3. Digital copies (via helpcenter or UT website)  -downloadable & printable
  4. Better looking (using infographics, some nice typefaces, and decent photos)...
So far, I have drafted a template for my cohort to use in assisting me...
I have also finished the "Black Box" poster which should be laminated and posted in the inside door of the black boxes to provide a quick, visual how-to and identification card.

Voila---:




For all of you designers out there... it's a combination Frutiger Std Light and Myriad Pro.
We had to make it a little more approachable and less wordy.
You can download the PDF file here:    BlackBox Identification Guide

More to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment