Thursday, June 3, 2010

UPDATE: DeploySrv-Doble is running v1.0rc19 (stable)!!!

So I just did a major upgrade to my deploy server in Doble.

FYI: "DeploySrv-x" is the general nomenclature that I have given to machines that are used to copy/clone workstations in various computer areas.

DeploySrv-Doble will serve the entire doble campus by allowing dual-boot imac machines to boot remotely via NetBoot services (a built-in feature of MacOSX-Server) and then invoke Apple System Restore (ASR) processes to copy the hard-drives from lab workstations to a network storage unit (as 'images')....
Then, the same ASR processes can be used to restore the hard-drive images back onto workstations else-where.... it's all quite simple.
And it saves TONS on leg-work.
The traditional methods would have included taking an external hard-drive to each computer and copying the workstation one at a time... with ASR & NetBoot, I can do 20+ at a time (in the same amount of time).... And I can do them remotely (from another office or computer elsewhere) making it much more convenient for me.

When I worked at the Art Institute of Boston, I had set-up DeployStudio, but back in the day, we used a tool called NetRestore... similar ideas.

At any rate..
I'm celebrating because I restored the NetBoot services and rebuilt a NetInstall Set using DeployStudio v1.0rc19.... and I'm creating the Doble Image as we speak.

More development notes to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment